Global branding and market development in China
NAKI Honey is a boutique, family-run honey operation owned and managed by Barton Holdings Limited (BHL) in the coastal region of Taranaki in New Zealand’s North Island.
When BHL approached us and looked to identify potential market opportunities for its business growth, their premium wild mānuka honey had no branding, no visual identity or packaging, even no website for consumers to shop online. We aimed to build up its brand awareness and reputation from scratch and help this newly-established brand succeed in the competitive global markets, especially in China.
Not all mānuka honey is equal, even when it bears industry-certified grading or badges. Complete market and competitor research was conducted to identify the market position, target audiences and unique selling points of BHL’s wild mānuka honey from its unique location of “Untouched Nature” in Taranaki.
To launch its brand and help it enter and grow in China, we worked out comprehensive branding solutions and sales & marketing strategies, crafted its packaging design and created its compelling brand story for Chinese consumers based on our insights and market trends.
Flagship store on JD online shopping platform
Moon Festival promotions
Mobile shopping app and WeChat articles
We facilitated long-term distribution and trading partnerships in China for BHL. In addition, we delivered one-stop cross-border business solutions that break down cultural and language barriers, including:
- Bilingual brand name NAKI 纳奇谷for global markets
- Visual communications system and corporate identity manual
- Product development and packaging design
- A full set of marketing collateral – flyer, brochure, digital assets, etc.
- Official Chinese website with a direct online shopping component
- Official WeChat account
- E-commerce stores and retail channels set-up
- Cross-border logistics
- Traceability identification and product authentication system
- Trademark registration in China and New Zealand for Intellectual property protection
In December 2018, as the official New Zealand agent and organiser, our Director Kenneth Wang spearheaded and led a delegation group to China attending the International Apiculture Conferences and International Apiculture Expo in Guangzhou, supported by New Zealand UMF Honey Association and Auckland Business Chamber of Commerce. The Expo and forum explored the theme ‘quality, ecology, and healthcare’ through the reflections of the latest trends, technologies, honey science and industry services in the global apiculture industry as well as new product launch.
Over 120,000 distributors, buyers, wholesalers and retailers from 661 cities covering 34 administrative regions participated in the Expo. NAKI Honey was one of the exhibitors representing New Zealand’s natural honey products. We provided NAKI with one-stop marketing and event services, including translation, creative design and production, marketing collaterals, booth design, setup and on-site management, as well as facilitating trade negotiations.
- Trademark applications were approved and the certificates were issued by the Chinese government for ‘NAKI’ in 2016 and for its Chinese brand name ‘纳奇谷’ in 2019 for intellectual property and trading protection
- NAKI Honey is now an award-winning name synonymous with pure New Zealand mānuka honey and NAKI products are sold in China, Japan, USA, UK, Germany, Middle East and many other markets globally as a superfood and super healer.
- Now NAKI has its exclusive distribution agency in China. Sales revenue in the China market was doubled each year from 2016 to 2019.
Share this case study: